Gearbox Reverse Gear chipped.

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Reverse Gear chipped.
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:17:00 -0400
Listers,

While my gearbox was out of the car during my engine rebuild, I pulled the
cover off and had a look inside.
When I drained the oil I had found a small piece (about 1/8") of what looked
like a corner of a gear tooth. Sure enough, the large reverse gear matched
up with the chip. The small mating gear below it also has a chipped gear.
I think this is ok, since the reverse gears are only engaged when the car is
stopped, and they seem to mesh fine, with the chipped corners on the two
gears (one tooth on the large gear and one tooth on the small gear) having
no effect on the motion.
All the other gears that I can see look great.
And if I don't have to rebuild the gearbox for any other reason, then
would'nt it make sense to leave the original gears alone and not perform a
rebuild?
I printed out all the steps for a rebuld from the Buckeye site, and I am
trying to determine if I should perform a rebuild or not. I am not sure even
looking at the photo from the Buckeye site, where I sure be measuring for
wear so I can determine if my gearbox is within spec?
Any help would be appreciated.
I do plan on rebuilding the cover to make the rods/actuators move easier.

Thanks,
Wayne Ross
Westport, MA
1973 TR6