Re: Fw: TR6 track experience

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: TR6 track experience
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:57:34 -0400
Shane Ingate wrote:

> I learned very early in my worn-out TR6 that rapid changes in
> throttle were not a good idea, so I avoid letting off the throttle
> and gear-changing, (especially in corners).

I learned exactly that a few months after owning my first TR6.  I would
recommend every TR6 owner out their check their throttle linkage for proper
operation and for ZERO interference!  Have your throttle stick open midway
through a 90 degree turn is scary, and it cost me a $760 repair bill for the
damage my car incurred.

Of course, I didn't realize that the accident was a result of the throttle
linkage sticking until it happened again, the first time it just happened so
fast and I concentrated on not crashing into other cars when it happened
mid-bend.  The second time was also in a 90 degree turn, and I promptly
stalled the car before I crashed into anything... there was no place to go
that time.

Anyway, it turned out that part of the throttle linkage was bent, and at
steady mid-throttle it would get in such a position that it wouldn't want to
move.  The first thing I'm doing with my new TR6 (only 9 more days
everyone!) is making up a custom overhead linkage for the two SU HD8
carburetors (yum, but probably overkill, we'll see).  I don't like losing
control mid-turn!

Kai