Fwd: Re: 16" wheels and tires

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: 16" wheels and tires
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
The stock tire was 185 in section width, 15" wheel diameter.  When
these cars were first made, tire makers didn't refer to the aspect
ratio.  However, I've heard it would be approximately equal to
185/80-15.

The concept you've alluded to (big wheels using tires with small aspect
ratios, yielding the same overall tire/wheel diameter) is called "plus
sizing".  You can read about it on www.tirerack.com.  You need a tire
that has an overall diameter of about 26.4 inches (this is the stock
diamater).

The formula to calculate tire diameter is (tire width/25.4) * aspect
ratio * 2 + wheel diamater.

For this formula, tire aspect ratio must be entered as a decimal (ie.
65 series tire would be .65).

So, your formula to calculate your wheel or tire size (while keeping
same overall diamater) is

(26.4 - wheel diameter) / (aspect ratio * 2) * 25.4 = tire width

Fill in two of the three variables (wheel diameter, aspect ratio, or
tire width), do some simple algebra, and you get your answer.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6