Rear Hub Inspection For Dummies (like me)

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Inspection For Dummies (like me)
From: "John Phillips" <TR6@vigoris.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:20:36 -0500
Here is a simple way to check your rear hubs.  Honest.  The Bentley manual
shows how much play is acceptable if you evaluate the hub only using special
tools.  If you project the two planes out to the approximate diameter of the
tyre, the point of no return play factor becomes .020" conservatively.
Simply place a perpendicular straight edge against the tyre, rock it inward
to the extent of the play in the bearing and measure the gap between the
tyre and perpendicular straight edge with a feeler gauge.  Anything over
.020" should set off some alarm bells.  I also have personal knowledge of a
wheel leaving a TR6 from a sheared hub shaft resulting from bearing failure.
Ignore this and you can die.  Get them rebuilt.

John Phillips, Claremore, OK
Green Country Triumphs
76 TR6 CF51655
 http://www.greencountrytriumphs.com/