RE: Hesitating Starter

To: "Bert Van der Stee" <bert.van.der.stee@pandora.be>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hesitating Starter
From: "Stephen L. Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:39:07 -0700
Bert,

Acouple of ideas/questions

Does the motor seem to spin at the normal rate (engaged or not)?

If it does then look at the solienoid area for binding/wear or other
contamination.  It may not be moving freely enough to throw the starter gear
out.  If it seems to hesitate or spin slowly look at the switch (starting
relay) in the motor.  I had a Plymouth that ran into starting problem and
when we took the motor apart I found the the switch had just about worn
itself out and was presenting a high resistance connection (high is just
about anything other than dead short) across it's contacts.

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com