Re: Old wives tale?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old wives tale?
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:27:26 -0500
Dick Taylor wrote:

> In looking at the way the rear hub is designed and attached to
> the trailing arm, I see no way "the wheel could come off" if an
> axle should break. Such an unlikely episode would also
> require that all six bolts that secure the hub to the trailing arm
> would have to let go.
> If this happened, it must've been on the solid axle TR's, but
> not the ones with IRS . . .

You need to look again. The wheel of comes off if the axle breaks because
the large nut at the outboard end of the stub axle is what holds the hub
together and holds the driving flange to the hub. I could send you a photo
of my TR6 vintage race car sitting by the side of the track on three wheels
after the LR stub axle snapped . . . (needless to say, the car now has rear
hubs fabricated from Corvair parts.

When the axle snaps, the hub can remain bolted to the trailing arm, but
there's nothing to hold the hub together.

Ted Stevens wrote:

> Is the "Tonys_Rollover.mpg" video file still available somewhere?
> Was that an IRS car or solid axle? Did the axle break, or the hub
> just let loose in that case?

Jack & Tony Drews' car was a solid axle TR4. Its replacement (just as
beautiful as the original) and many other solid axle Triumph race cars now
have a replacement axle system designed to solve the problem.

Jim Hill
SpyderWeb Vintage Racing
Madison WI