Re: rear lug stud installation

To: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: rear lug stud installation
From: "Phillip J. Pallone" <ppallones@core.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:15:23 -0700
Just a quick follow-up:

Well, I finally got it all back together.

For what its work (FWIW - I'm not used to this computer short-hand), it took
4 tons and an Enerpac press to push the wheel studs into position.  I took
everyones advise and used an appropriate nut and 1/2" impact - all it did
was tear up the one of the stud.  Before using the Enerpac press, I tried
pressing them in with an old arber (sp?) press at work - all I did was shear
the (approx.) 1/8" key at the pinion gear.  The hydraulic press - at 4000
psi, pushed them in very nice.  Maybe the new replacement parts are slightly
oversized making the press fit tighter - don't know?

And - since I had the assembly out - I chanced one of the U-joints (closest
to the differential) with a new one that I bought in TRF's tent at Mid-Ohio
last Saturday.  With some persuasion - that went together OK too.

And... I adjusted the 0.007 end float to just about 0.002.

I should be ready to go now (hope nothing else is lerking around the
corner).

So - hope no one else breaks a wheel stud.

Phil Pallone
74 TR6
CF22155U