RE: Brake Switch/Flat black on transom?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Brake Switch/Flat black on transom?
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:30:19 +0100
>Someone may correct me, but as I recall all US (all North American?) TR6's
>got the flat black tail treatment.  It wasn't done for UK and european
>markets.  All body color there.
>
>Darrell

The black tail treatment was applied to all TR6's from the start to
the end of production. I have heard suggestions that the factory
sometimes 'ran out of paint' and finished a car without the black
tail. This I simply do not believe: Triumph's production line was in
fact quite modern at the time and it seems unlikely that they ran out
of paint, especially as this black was in use on other cars, and also
on the sills (rockers?), behind the grill, and after 1969, around the
windscreen on TR6's.

I suspect that the occasional car received a re-spray before going
into a showroom, and that a dealer somewhere told customers that
Triumph had run out of black paint the day their car was made! Today
there are a few rebuilt cars without the black rear end, & I agree
with a previous poster, they do look a little strange. I'm also
surprised by the number of cars without the black behind the grill,
the body colour behind the black grill always looks messy to me, but
perhaps that's just me being fussy......
--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI