RE: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance & Timing

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance & Timing
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:23:17 -0700
        Bruce:

        Many years ago I had a similar problem on my Japanese car. No matter
how much I retarded the timing, it still pinged. Turned out the distributor
springs had gotten weak, and would let the dist. advance the timing too
rapidly as the RPMS rose. Replacing the springs (less than a dollar, as I
recall) did the trick.
        I would suggest that you also make sure your vacuum retard is
working. I figured out this weekend that mine is dead. It must have a hole
in the diaphragm, as I can apply vacuum and it doesn't budge. If I
disconnect the vacuum, the idle speed remains unchanged.

        Just a couple of thoughts....

        Vance Navarrette
        1974 Mimosa TR6