RE: Carb Rebuild Recommendations

To: "'Hugh Fader'" <hfader@usa.net>,
Subject: RE: Carb Rebuild Recommendations
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:13:10 -0500
if I were going to the hassle of rebuilding, I think i'd change everything
in sight.

some of the kits include Gros-Jets to replace the original float chamber
valves. Most people like Gros-Jets; some hate them.

also seems to be crucial to figure out if the throttle shafts are leaking
and need to be re-bushed (you have to send 'em out), since otherwise all
your other fixes are pretty much for naught.

other things to check:

--do you need new needles? (probably).

--are the bypass valves leaking? (probably)

--are the temperature compensators sticking? (probably).

--is the o-ring for the needle adjuster at the bottom of the piston leaking,
allowing your damper oil to leak out? (maybe)

also, I always order eight new bolts to hold on the tops of the carbs, since
they're usually stripped ... and i'd order new bolts for the bypass valves
and temp compensators, since the heads usually strip when you look at them
sideways.

Those parts generally are NOT included in rebuild kits. Usually you can stop
the temp valves from sticking with just a good cleaning. Leaking bypass
valves either seem to be replaced or blanked off.

Graham