RE: OD tranny

To: "'Eric Myracle'" <eric_myracle@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: OD tranny
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:20:58 -0500
I was going to do this on my '69, and it's definitely do-able. but you need
to find a used/rebuilt combination tranny and O/D, which can be hard to do
if you don't have an o/d core.

the rest of the stuff is fairly straightforward: couple of wiring harnesses
(Moss/TRF), o/d switch and plastic surround for the steering column (easy to
find used -- the switch resembles a turn signal switch), main solenoid, and
various switches and relays (Moss/TRF) All it takes is money ...

:)

your model came with the earlier "A" type OD, which is considered less
robust than the later "J" type. However, if you're going to the "J," I
believe you have to do some fabricating work regarding the rear transmission
mount.

Re the drive shaft, I don't think there's any difference between ANY of the
o/d and non- o/d transmissions, but I could be wrong. Moss lists just one
part number for the drive shaft.

also, despite the preferences for the J type, I have an A type in my '63
Healey and it works just fine. these were used in many european cars. Plus
mine "automatically" checks the oil level in the (drippy) transmission,
because they share the same supply; when the O/D stops working because of
lack of hydraulic pressure, I know it's time to fill up!

--Graham