Re: Boot Light, model year

To: "Hicks, Stephen" <SHicks@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Subject: Re: Boot Light, model year
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:28:12 -0700
At 11:46 AM 6/13/2002 -02-30, you wrote:
>My question is, does the
>boot light only work when the park lights are turned on?

Maybe the manual is wrong.  It sounds like the wiring is set up so that the
boot light only comes on "at night."  Night would be defined as "when your
other light switch is closed."

The Dan Masters electrical book is your best source for accurate data.

I have a "74.5" car and will try to check the light action later today
since I can't remember the details of how the boot light works.

>Also the plate on my car shows the build date as January 1975 but the engine
>compartment shows no emission controls of a 75, and is identical to a 74
>donor car I have. Is there a registrar of serial number and engine numbers
>to find out if the engine has been replaced. Or could it be possible that
>the car is an original 75 built to 74 specs.

I think there are basically two areas of a car which determine the
registration year, at least in California:  Emissions and safety.

The true '75 and '76 cars (engines) have the air pump and air injectors on
the intake manifold.  It sounds like yours doesn't, if it's like your other
74 car.

My two California cars are both "74.5" model year.  They were built in late
'74 (Oct. and Dec.).  I bought the December car new in April '75.  I don't
know the selling date of the earlier one.  Anyway, I assume that since they
don't have the air pump and injectors, they couldn't meet the California
standards for the '75 model year change, so they had to be registered as
'74's.  1974 is on the registration tickets.

However, in terms of safety they ARE like the '75 car in that they have the
higher bumpers, and the newly positioned parking lamps (below the front
bumper).  A true '74 has the lamps above a slightly lower bumper.  Hence,
the 74.5 designation of some, which is described in the front of the Moss
catalog.

Wonder where your car was first registered.  Based on my experience I think
your car with the build date of January '75 is a "74.5" as described above
(no air pump), especially if you have the front bumper and lamp position I
mentioned.  This assumes no engine change (intake manifold change).  If I
get a chance on Saturday I will try to dig out my original car's engine
number from the December '74 build; maybe it will help you compare.  Can
anyone confirm there was a logical numbering sequence of the engines?

Glenn
San Diego