Alternator Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:47:57 -0400 (EDT)
Howdie,

My Lucas ACR18 alternator has been acting oddly for the last 8 years, so I
bought a bunch of parts to "fix" it. Among them are a new regulator and a
new rectifier.

The lugs on the rectifier seem to be larger than the wire connectors on
the regulator, e.g. I cannot push the wire connectors onto the rectifier.
The odd thing is that the lugs are smaller than 3/16 size standard wire
lugs but larger than 1/8 wire lugs.

I know I can convert to other alternators, but I'm just fielding the
question - has anyone else on this list seen this connector thing? If so,
what's the solution? Metric wire lugs?

I suppose I could bring the thing to Joe's ALternator and Generator shop
and have them fix it and test it, but last time that cost me $150. On the
plus side, that alternator works fine (and is currently installed in the
car), but I had to steal it from the race car to drive the street car.
I'll need somthing for the race car eventually.

Thanks for any meaningful responses.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |