Re: [Britishcars] Warning: Crooked Mechanic

To: "Jon L. Fry" <Jon@Fry.net>,
Subject: Re: [Britishcars] Warning: Crooked Mechanic
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:35:10 -0400
Okay, I'm skeptical of the story.  Why doesn't Mr. Combs contact the
_proper_ authorities?  Usually you do not pay the entirety of such work
until you have the final product... after all, how many of you pay your
machine shop before you get the final product?

Like I said the other day, even if you're a thief of British car parts, they
are no good unless you can sell them to someone.  So, if Mr. Combs provided
us with the engine and gearbox numbers his account would be much more
credible and he would have the possibility of getting his engine and gearbox
back, if it turns up on the market (which is the only thing it can do unless
it goes to the scrap heap).

And how did Mr. Combs pay?  I can't imagine paying $5000 in cash, or even
$500 increment payments in cash.  Doesn't he keep his bank statements if he
paid by check?  Credit Card statements?  Money order receipts?  If he paid
by cash, well in that case he is a dumbass... I don't care how trustworthy
you think someone is, if you're paying for a $5000 product/service you do
not pay in cash!

This story just does not seem to add up.  Mr. Combs is obviously still in
contact with Bennet French, Bennet French still does business... and yet,
Mr. Combs has decided to pursue the most ineffective means possible when it
comes to getting his parts back.

Kai (risking being called 'acerbic' again ;-)  )