RE: Diagnosis needed for O/D

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diagnosis needed for O/D
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:36:48 -0500
I bought a big Healey with a Type A overdrive, which I was assured hadn't
worked for several years. Filled up the tranny with oil (they share the same
oil supply) and it's worked fine ever since (five-plus years). Recently, the
shifting has slowed a bit, which makes me think it's time to check the oil
level again, since I have a generous array of leaks from under the car.

Also the tranny oil will thin out as it heats up, so if the level is a bit
low, that also will lower the pressure to the shifting mechanism (I think).

so i'd try that first. there's also an easy adjustment (detailed in the
manual) of the actual engaging mechanism, which I believe is on the right
side of the O/D unit.

Graham