Re: part suppliers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: part suppliers
From: "Mackay, Steve" <steve.mackay@analog.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:39:38 -0400
Charging question. I noticed a very small amount of battery acid on the battery
shelf next to the battery. I inspected the battery for cracks with negative
results. Removed the battery, naturalized the area and installed the battery. At
this point I believe I have an over charging problem. I did the following
checks. DVM across the battery with everything disconnected battery read 12.9 v.
With the DVM meter connected I started the car. During starter cranking period
DVM reading dropped to 11.9 v (Normal) as soon as the car started the  DVM meter
went to 13.5 volts and climbed over the next 60 seconds to 14.2v @ 1900 rpm's.
After driving the car for over an hour the meter on the dash and the DVM never
dropped below 14.2v. My question

1. Should it take 60+ seconds for the DVM and the amp meter on the dash to climb
from 13.5v to 14.2 volts?
2. Regardless of the run time should the meter always be reading > 14.v when
running. Doesn't the system drop back to 12.5v at some point?
3. What is the most common problem, Alternator?

History - New battery, Rebuilt alternator, New wire harness, The car has 5k on a
total frame off rebuild