Re: Removing broken pipe thread

To: charlie.shaw@acsalaska.net
Subject: Re: Removing broken pipe thread
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:30:54 -0400
Hi Charlie,

Shouldn't be too big a problem.  Don't be afraid to remove the manifolds
if it makes access easier for you.  It's not a bad job.  Just be sure to
have a new "correct style" gasket for your intake manifold on hand and
torque the manifolds to spec upon reinstallation.

You should probably disconnect the battery where you will be working in
the starter area.

1. Pretreat the area with a penetrant like PB Blaster.

2. You might try drilling the fitting out a bit at a time until you just
reach the threads. Then peel the remaining threads out with a scratch awl
or similar tool.

3. You could also use a pneumatic body saw with a small blade to slice
the fitting lengthwise then peel it out similarly with a small chisel or
awl.

4. Sometimes when all you have left is a very small bit of threads left,
heating with a torch will separate the threads from the threaded hole.

5. Chase the threads when done if you are able.

6. Flush the cooling system through this hole to remove any drill
filings.

Good luck,
Jay Welch  Abington, MA
1971 TR6 Project, 1973 TR6 Driver, 1989 Mustang GT donor car to FFR Cobra
Kit
Member Cape Cod British Car Club @
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/