Re: clutch question

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: Re: clutch question
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:15:07 -0600
Hi Dick,

Following up on your advice, there was some play in the play in the clutch
arm and I have the transmission out of the car. It turned out that the hole
that the fork pin goes through in the clutch shaft was oblate, allowing
some extra free play.  Time for a new shaft.  Problem #1

Thanks for the note.   It looks like I'm going to have some fun since it
looks like I have multiple problems.  There have been several good
suggestions.  Including one from Pete Chadwell that I check the magnetic
drain plug for bits and pieces.  There weren't any pieces but the gear oil
was very, very golden.  Problem #2

Following up on the "gold" flowing out of the drain hole, I pulled the top
cover to find out more about it.  There is a *lot* of play in the gears on
the mainshaft (about 1/4 inch) so I would guess that one of the brass
bushings has been "liquidated".  I'll have to pull the transmission apart
to look at it.  In the meantime, I'm going to put a spare transmission
until I can look at it and get the necessary bits and pieces.

I've also been reading and re-reading the info that Nelson has posted on
Buckeye Triumphs.   Good stuff!   And I'm going to need it!

I have to wonder just a little bit about it since it was supposed to have
been completely rebuilt this past summer before I bought it.  Maybe this
was just a bit of bad luck.

Rob
74 TR6, daily dribbler