Re: Tranny Breathers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tranny Breathers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:49:15 -0500 (EST)
Just a quick one about breathers...

If you do decide to vent your tranny (or differential) it's best that you
vent it to a tank to catch the spills. Make sure that the centerline of
the tank is above the fill line of the tranny (or diff) so that you don't
create a siphon effect.

It's better still to use a nifty catch tank with an air filter on it so
you don't suck bugs and other cruft into your expensive tranny or diff.

It turns out that most of the racer houses sell nice catch tanks with
vents for under $75 - and they look really kool. Too bad you wind up
putting them under the bonnet or in the boot (or even under the car!).

About the only gotcha is that to do a really good job of venting, you need
to run an AN6 size hose (about 3/8 inch dia.) that is unobstructed. That
means that the AN adapter to the case needs to be a minimum of 3/8 NPT -
the 1/8 NPT ones are too small.

This has been my experience trying to vent my differential on my race car.

C ya,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |