RE: '76 TR6 Trailing Arm brackets

To: Walt Philipson <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Subject: RE: '76 TR6 Trailing Arm brackets
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:55:31 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Walt Philipson wrote:

> I'm finishing up replacing rear bushings with new urethanes and upgraded
> springs from TRF. What's the easiest/best way to measure camber? Can I rig
> something up using a spirit level and a protractor?

Bring the car to a competent alignment shop and get a 4-wheel alignment.

Measuring toe-in in your garage without the necessary equipment is an
exercise in futility.

Once you get reference numbers from the aligment shop, then you can tweak
things.

Now, if you are dead set on measuring yourself, you can purchase a really
cheap camber/caster gauge from places like Racer Parts Wholesale - figure
about $40 for a bubble gauge. This will give you "relative" camber
measurements. If you have a bit more money to throw around, there's a tool
called "SmartCamber" or something like that that you hold up to your rim
to measure camber. The fancy version even has a digital readout. These
tools cost $200 or so.

But don't forget that when you change camber, you also change toe, so you
need to check _everything_ every time you play with any one setting.

To me spending $60 bucks for a proper aligment is money well spent.

Especially if you only do it once every 5 years or so. If you race, then
buying the equipment is cost effective, but for a normal street driver,
just get the thing aligned after you do your work on it an leave it alone.

> Walt Philipson
> 74 tr6

regards,
rml
74 TR6 (and others)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |