RE: Front suspension rebuild

To: "Keith Meinhold" <keith@navyboy.com>
Subject: RE: Front suspension rebuild
From: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:09:38 -0500
Keith

I made a simple spring compressor with a length of 1/2" threaded rod and
some 1/4" plate from the hardware store. Cut the plate to fit between the
bolts in the plate as Dick describes the 2 x 4. Drill a hole in the plate
for the threaded rod. Put the threaded rod up through the spring and through
the bolt hole for the shock. Place a washer and two nuts on the rod on top
of the shock support and lock the nuts together. Slide the metal plate up
against the bottom of the spring plate and tighten. This will compress the
spring and allow you to loosen the nuts/bolts on the bottom. Remove the nuts
and then loosen the nut on the threaded rod to lower the spring plate and
decompress the spring. It's a little slower than the hydraulic jack method
but I found I had a little more control. I think this is similar to one that
is sold by one of the big three.

Walt Philipson
'74 tr6, presently getting new rear springs, bushings and one new hub.