Re: Revised leakdown tests

To: "Peter Macholdt" <vze2846b@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Revised leakdown tests
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:02:25 -0500
In regards to the oil leak on the petrol pump. It sounds like the oil seals
inside the pump are shot. These are located inside the 'Body and Primer
Assembly'. I have the British Leyland part number. It is # 508981. You will
need two. I apologize for not being able to cross reference to any of the
'big three'. The way they are put in is that first the retainer must be
extracted. Then all the damaged seals removed. Once the area is totally
clear and clean, insert both seals, one on top of the other and then press
in the retainer back into its original position.

I am in the midst of restoring a TR3.  The petrol pump is of similar design.
I am having a hard time finding the same seal. The seal in this case is one
piece. The Stanpart Catalogue does not show the part, but Kenneth Ball's
Workshop Manual talks about it as a replacement when it goes bad. Haynes
shows it and explains that it needs to be inserted and retained. I have
talked to others that are restoring or have restored their cars. So far
everyone has replaced the entire unit. Sure hope that this won't have to be
the answer.
Robert L. Gannon
E- Mail Reply Options:     trsix74@Home.com
                                      trsix74@Yahoo.com