Re: SS Sports Exhaust system from Rimmer Bros

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: SS Sports Exhaust system from Rimmer Bros
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:47:18 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess we've all had to use the
grinder from time to time.

:-)

As far as "good headers" go, I bought a unit from TRF, I think it's Falcon
brand, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Of all the "features" that I've seen
on the other headers, this one is def. the best. The tubes are nice and
fat, the flanges are cut well and I test fitted the header to a motor that
was on the stand and it bolted up nice and easy. When I build my next
motor, this header is def. going on there.

Regarding other sources of headers, I can only say "call around". I know
this sounds glib, but the fact of the matter is that the header
manufacturers are really not too interested in selling a couple hundred
TR6 headers when they can make a Honda or VW header and then sell
_thousands_ of them to the "import crowd". The result of this circumstance
is that we get to "hand tool" a lot of parts.

Put another way - at least we can still get some semblance of a
performance header for our cars, we just have to massage them.

The "brand names" of headers that I am familiar with are Monza, Kirk,
Staahl and Falcon. I bought a header from Moss a few years back - it's a
quality piece (bolted right on!), but it's not really a performance header
owing to the very short primary tubes. I've also had problems with the
manifold gasket burning through on the #1 and #6 bottom outside corner.
I'm sure there are other headers available and I'll bet that with a bit of
savvy, you could probably get the local custom exhaust shoppe to fabricate
something for you. This wouldn't be cheap, but could be effective.

At any rate, part of the "charm" of Triumphs is exactly what you have to
do in this case - you have to dig for information, you have to call around
to find parts, you have to fettle things to get them to fit. It's part of
the process.

For those that don't like all this "futzing", well - I'm sure there's a
Honda or VW for sale nearby that'll fit the bill just fine.

:-)

Happy Holidays!
rml

p.s. don't read anything into my last statement. Hondas and VWs are fine
automobiles, but they do lack charm, that's for sure. Unless you're
talking Beetles, but that's another e-mail list!
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |