RE: Any help/clubs for Jag XJ6's?

To: <Timbo00001@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Any help/clubs for Jag XJ6's?
From: "Neil Beesley" <neil.beesley@securesult.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:24:06 -0000
Hi Tim,

My advice would be not to go near a 70's XJ6 unless it's 100% perfect !
Parts are reasonably cheap but XJ6's are not the easy-to-work-on basic
design the TR6 is - they're complex machines, and everything takes three
times as long as you might expect it to.

There's that, and 1977 is probably the worst year for British Leyland
"quality" control.. (I spent years replacing parts and welding new metal
into a '77 XJ6L before I scrapped it and bought a TR6 to save my sanity !)

Anyway, fuel pumps: there's two fuel tanks, the pumps are electric and
they're submersible on a '77. The fuel supply is switchable between both
from inside the car. so if there's no fuel delivery from either, then it's
probably not the pumps, but electrics or pipework. (Which is good because
taking the tanks out means taking off rear body panels, getting the car in
the air, draining and dropping the tank - see what I mean ?!)

Fantastic cars when they're right, money/time pit if not...

Regards,

Neil
'70 TR6
CP52411

My dimensia runs deep.  First a TR6 and now an opportunity for a 77 XJ6L.
I'm looking at it Saturday.  Any tips from all of you or does anyone have a
Jag club contact?
The owner says it's been stored for 10 years and the gas tank needs to be
drained and cleaned.  The car won't run on it's own fuel system, but will
run
when fed from an auxiliary source, according to him.  Could it be a fuel
pump?  Were they electric?  Are parts available at a reasonable price?
HELP!

Thanks in advance!
Tim
'72 TR6