Re: TR6 Rear hubs

To: "'jdavis@ldl.net'" <jdavis@ldl.net>,
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear hubs
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:07:30 -0700
Jim
Sorry to be late in responding, just came back from a hunting trip.  Anyway,
my 6 has a similar whine as you describe, and it happened when I put on poly
diff mounts.  I was warned of this by BPNW when I bought them, but now I see
how loud they really are with the top up.  Top down not too bad.  They do
make clutch shifting feel very positive and somewhat forgiving, which is
very nice and much to my surprise.  Perhaps the previous owner put them on,
but if you've owned this vehicle a long time and if this problem has been
slowly getting worse since you've owned the vehicle, then of course my
explanation is probably not applicable.

>I've been hearing some whining from the rear ofone of  my TR6s, CF38690.
>I really can't hear it with the top down, but it is very noticable with
>the top up while cruising at 60mph or higher. Seems to get louder as I
>slightly accelerate at speed and go away as I'm going down a slight
>incline and therefore let off the accelerator a bit. I've also begun
>hearing a slight clunking sound upon letting out the clutch. Diff mounts
>are not cracked upon inspection, and when I have the car with the rear
>wheels off the ground and turn the wheels and then stop them quickly I
>get no movement from the diff and the u joints.

You shouldnt have too much if any lateral play in the wheel bearings,
although I cant say for sure, and axial play is something like <.005.  I
replaced one of my bearings when it felt like it "rumbled" as I turned it,
while the other side felt nice and smooth.  I heard this with the hubs out
of the car. But I can tell you that when I bought the car I drove it home
prior to replacing this bearing and I heard no such whining noise.

>I have checked the movement of my rear wheels when off the
>ground and there is signifigant movement both up and down and sideways
>when gripping the wheels at 12/6 and 3/9 o'clock positions. How much is
>normal? How does one determine when the diff is going bad? Same
>question with the hubs?

John Lumia - 76 TR6