Re: Virus

To: "Rick Ray" <rray@neweracanning.com>
Subject: Re: Virus
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:04:41 -0600
    Rick> Yesterday I sent a question to the list.  I received a response
    Rick> from shawmon < _shawmon@worldnet.att.net > that had an attachment
    Rick> containing a virus.  I am sending this to warn others and to ask
    Rick> if this is a common occurrence.

Oh yeah, it's common.  It's (I think) a worm called Badtrans.B.  When it
launches, it sends a reply to all unread (e.g. incoming) email.  I manage a
concert search engine website that allows people to subscribe to
personalized searches.  The system sends out hundreds of messages a day.  I
get *many* copies of this particular nastygram.  I've received 99 copies in
just the past 7-8 hours.

More info is available at many sites.  Here are a few (not endorsing any of
these - I just picked 'em out of a google search):

    http://www3.ca.com/virus/

http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BADTRANS.B
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.13312@mm.html

you'd-think-people-would-get-fed-up-with-crappy-M$-software-but-nooo-ly, y'rs,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)