RE: DOT5 survey

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: DOT5 survey
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:59:30 -0500
Unless you plan to race the car, DOT5 (silicone, not DOT5.1) is an
excellent choice for brake fluid for "extra" cars that see a lot of
storage.  Not only does it leave paintwork intact if it spills, but it also
resists moisture absorption and thus protects internal brake surfaces like
caliper pistons.  It does, however, readily absorb air, which is why some
people report spongy pedals...you do need to be extra diligent when
bleeding.  This air absorption (air compresses, unlike brake fluid) is one
of the main reasons DOT5 is not recommended for racing.  The clutch lines
are much less stressed, especially heat-wise, so DOT5 works well in them too.

Usually, people switch to silicone after rebuilding the brake
system.  Another way to do it is to run denatured alcohol through the lines
to clean out the old fluid.  Some people just pour it in, but you are
cheating yourself of the full benefits of silicone..mixing will work,
though, as it's a legal DOT requirement that all brake fluids must work
with every other type of brake fluid.