Re: cam shafts

To: KennanBArp@aol.com
Subject: Re: cam shafts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:17:48 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 KennanBArp@aol.com wrote:

> I am looking for a medium (s-2 or 4 profile) cam shaft for my 6.

The S4 might be a bit much for the street. The S2 is probably a better
choice. In fact any cam with around .400 lift at the valve and less than
280 degrees of duration would be a good street cam. The S4 power band is
3500 and above, sounds impressive, but it'll get tired fast if you
actually drive your car. To wit - 70 MPH in 4th gear  is 3500 w/o
overdrive. You don't want to drive a car with a cam below the power band
for long. :-)

> Does anyone
> know how to contact Kent tuning in AZ?

Just guessing - that must be Rod Kent. I fairly sure he's still an active
TR6 racer. I forget what part of AZ he's from. I talked to him at the
Runoffs(tm) in '97.

> I heard they have cam shafts for a TR-6.  Anyone have more experience
> than they want with broken valve springs.  I've had 4 break before the
> a piston and valve met, requiring a rebuild.

If you're breaking valve springs, you must have something set wrong or you
are over-revving your motor. You need to take the time to measure your
springs at full lift to see if there is any binding. I do not have a rule
of thumb, but keep in mind that all the metal in your engine expands under
heat, so .060 of clearance between the turns in the spring at full valve
lift when the motor is cold is "safe".

If a piston and valve met, I'll guess that you're running some serious
compression... what is the size of your combustion chamber? How much cam
lift are you running?

To answer your question about cams, you can get various grinds from all
the usual suspects (TRF, Moss, British Parts Northwest), but Ted
Schumacher supposedly has the original patterns for S2 and S4 cams. Ken
Gillanders at British Frame and Engine can also help out with various cam
grinds, I think he has Babe Erson do his grinding. ALso, APT in CA can
probably help you out... there's also the British route with Racetorations
and Cambridge Motorsport etc.

Don't forget though - you get what you pay for. A $99 regrind is a $99
regrind. In the case of a TR6 cam, spending some money up front should pay
dividends later on.

rml
TR6's
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |