Regarding Induction

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Regarding Induction
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:50:52 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

One of the rebuild messages was asking about using SU HS8's in place of
the ZS 175's. I won't argue that this is a bad thing to do, but I wanted
to point out a tidbit that I read recently on another list regarding
performance potential of TR6 engines.

The author was Kas Kastner, a noted authority on the subject.

It seems that the CA shop was capable of making 200+ with the 175's via
balancing, compression change, cam and port matching - but by playing with
the carb needles. This was all done under the guidelines of the SCCA
production class rules at the time.

Unfortunately, I have no data on which needles to use, but we know that
various SU needles can be made to work with the ZS carb bodies...

So, if you want to save some money in your ideal engine rebuild, instead
of chucking $2k on Webers, try getting some various needle sets and
spending $2k on a dyno with someone that knows induction. Joe Curto would
be a good place to start with the needles... and I'm sure the needle
profile will vary according to your compression, cam, cam timing and some
other stuff... but this is an option. In fact, I think I'll be doing this
with my street TR6 over the winter. I'm not looking for 200 HP, but I'm
doing over the bottom end, and when I get done I do intend to get on a
dyno.

:-)
rml

p.s. oh - and supposedly the "killer" setup with TR6 was 252 HP at 8000.
WOW! Don't try this at home, boys and girls. I think this was with the PI
setup.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |