Re: camshaft

To: p.h.z@12move.nl, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: camshaft
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:32:37 -0800
Regarding the camshaft question.  Several good answers already.  Some
practical experience:

I put in a "moderate" street cam from British Parts North West -- they
were knowledgeable and helpful in helping me select it given my desired
compression ration increase [74 TR 6 -- upped it to 9.6] and carb change
[was planning on dual down draft webbers, but ended up with triple
DCOE's].  The spects were 270 degree duration and I forget the lift.
Street use is just find, and the power change from the head, carbs,
exhaust was seat of the pants amazing [wish I had done before and after
dyno or at least some acceleration timing tests].  I now wish I had a
wilder cam to take advantage of the fuel and breathing increases [and
more compression and roller rockers] as I primarily now sue the car for
autocross and track driving with the car clubs.

Removing the cam requires pulling the head and radiator, the fan, and
the timing cover.  If you are going that far, think about replacing the
gears and timing chain if they are original.

Good luck,
Chuck