Re: Rollbars

To: "Alan Lindner" <A.Lindner@STRATEDGE.COM>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rollbars
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:15:26 -0600
Alan Lindner wrote:

> What should the height of the rollbar be above the back deck?

Depends on what purpose the roll bar is to serve. If it's for appearances
only, it need only be high enough to look cool, and be positioned so that it
doesn't interfere with movement of the seats or the installation of the
top(s). And, perhaps, how easy it is to remove if you ever decide to sell
the car (sadly, the existence of a roll bar is not usually a 'plus' to
potential buyers).

If it's to be at all "functional", the top of the bar should be above the
driver's head (vintage racing groups typically require at least three
inches), which means that the driver's height is a factor and interference
with the top is likely. You'd also want to give some thought to proper
mounting and bracing, as the typical street roll bar bolted to sheet metal
is not likely to provide much protection.

Having installed a vintage-legal roll bar in my own TR6 that allows a top to
be used, I can tell you that it can be done. It's all a matter of how much
thought you want to give it and how much you're willing to spend on it.

Jim Hill
Madison WI