Re: Trunnion/wishbone bushes

To: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Trunnion/wishbone bushes
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:04:07 -0600
    Walter> I've discovered that the outer bushings on the driver's side
    Walter> front trunnion/wishbone connection of my '69 TR6 need to be
    Walter> replaced.  I've ordered a bushing kit for both sides from BPNW
    Walter> and hope to do the job this weekend.  BPNW advises that if I
    Walter> support the spring/shock pad with a jack and remove the large
    Walter> bolt and split nut that I can then lower the wishbones in order
    Walter> to replace all the lower bushings.

    Walter> What is your experience and advice on this project?

When I had the front suspension mounts on my TR250 fixed I pulled the body
and engine, so there was no choice but to use a spring compressor (not
enough weight to hold the frame down while jacking the wishbones).  I made a
spring compressor out of some threaded stock (3/4" as I recall), a few nuts
and some steel plate.  It's not hard to do, and gives you an extra measure
of safety when releasing the energy stored in the spring.  Those springs
store a helluva lot of potential energy.  You don't want to be in the way if
it gets rapidly converted to kinetic energy.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com)
http://www.mojam.com/