Re: Re: Vibration @ High RPMs

To: <gameparker@cs.com>, "\"Walter Fogle\"" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Vibration @ High RPMs
From: "Paul Johnson" <pjonmanana@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 06:42:54 -0500
Geoff:

A method of isolating the source is fairly easy.  At a local lawn mower
supply or tool store, you can get a reed tachometer.  It's a little round
disc with metal tangs all the way around, used to measure engine speed of
single cylinder engines.  The frequency of the vibration will set off one of
the little tangs, or reeds.

Once you have that, then all you have to do is drive the car to vibration
condition and with the reed tach on some suitable spot, find out the
frequency of the vibration.  If your engine is going, say, 3000 rpm and the
reed is vibrating at that speed, then your problem is in the lower half of
the engine.  If 1500, then it would be head related.  If it is some other
reading, then you have to begin doing some calculations.  Working through
the gear ratios you can calculate the speed of the driveshaft, and then the
u joints, tires and so forth.

Good luck

Paul