Re: Release Bearing

To: steve.mackay@analog.com (Mackay, Steve)
Subject: Re: Release Bearing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:59:22 -0700 (PDT)
MacKay---The answer to which combination of clutch to install without
modifications is a work in progress, so far as I'm concerned. The stock
RFP bearing with the Borg&Beck clutch is a crap shoot. You can get one
that lasts for maybe 40,000 miles or so, OR well, you know what else can
transpire.

I think most would agree that whoever's making the stock, replacement
bearings are turning out junk. With that in mind, I would recommend the
KOYO bearing, along with the Borg&Beck disc and pressure plate.
Reluctantly. The bearing is better by far, but the mating to the
pressure plate isn't perfect, due in part to the larger circumference of
the KOYO. At present, I'm preloading this bearing more than the stock SC
spring would do. I can only recommend that you do this by monitoring
those parts affected by the slight increase placed on the crankshaft
thrust washers. (I've only tested this for 2,000 miles. So far, so good,
but this is a very short time, as you know.)

It's also possible that the bearing itself in your car isn't doing the
squealing, but slips and squeals as it first makes contact. If it
squeals with the clutch pedal fully depressed, then the bearing itself
is toast.

Drop in on Nelson Riedel's website at Buckeye Triumph for more on the
subject.

Dick T.