Re: TR6 Engine Dying

To: Gameparker@cs.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Dying
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
Geoff---Let's take "...the idle increase while waiting..." first. It is
the purpose of the thermostatic vacuum control valve to increase the
idle when the engine coolant temperature reaches a certain degree. By
interrupting the vacuum to the ignition retard the timing advances,
thereby speeding up the engine. This of course speeds up both fan and
water pump, and lowers the temperature of the coolant.

So far as the engine "dying" when turning a corner, the remedy here
could be too long for this forum. I will suggest a few things for you to
check out, with no details. Write to me off-line if you need more
specifics.

If possible, determine first if it's fuel, electrical or mechanically
related. There will be subtle signs to help you.  i.e. You can even jack
up one side of the car with the engine running to see if this duplicates
turning a corner. This will give you the opportunity to do some tests
while outside the car, to determine why this happens.

Dick T.