Re: Roger Williams' TR6 Restoration Book

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roger Williams' TR6 Restoration Book
From: "Mike" <74@tr6world.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:52:21 -0400
Kai,

Thank you for your comments on the New TR6 Restoration book written by author
Roger Williams.

Since this book was written by an Englishman about cars built in England, it is
hard not to miss his English perspective.  These Guys (English) are infatuated
with the "Tim Worm" and importing cars from The United States.  As I am a
regular subscriber to "Practcal Classics" magazine, I am constantly reading
about owners who have spent the money to import cars from the USA.....
especially from States like California and Arizona because they are usually
rust free.

The car that was restored for the magazine series from Practical Classics would
by most people concerns, here in the USA, be a parts car.  No one in their
right mind would try and save that car.  (I bet someone will disagree with me
there).  They spent 34,455 sterling pounds (about 55,000 dollars)restoring that
car.  They would have been better off buying a body shell rather than weld
fabricated metal onto the existing shell (what was left of it).  They could
have easliy purchased a car that was a fair driver and still offered the same
level of content for the restoration and saved 15 or 20 thousand.   Did you see
how much sheet metal was used from the original car?  Wow.

I know..... they picked this car so they could address a total restoration.
Honestly, I really like the Practical Classics book and would recommend it to
anyone ..... if they could find one.  I don't believe they are available
anymore.  Someone let us know if any are still available.

I think that both of these books provide valuable information.  Yea, some of
the ideas that we can always find areas of disagreement when it comes to
anyones perspective of how to restore a car, but in general, in my opinion, the
book is worth every penny whether you buy it from Amazon or 6-PACK.

Kai, While I don't agree with your thought that the book is not worth the
money, I do think that an American perspective is missing.  I still think there
is a benefit in reading this book and would still reccommend it for any TR6
enthusiast to read.

Thanks to Kia's thoughts, I have a suggestion for the list.  I had thought of
this before, but now seems to be a great time to throw this out for discussion.
 As most of these cars ended up here in the United States, and the car had a
successful SCCA history here in the States, wouldn't it seem appropriate to
publish a TR6 restoration book with an American perspective including american
resources for parts, sevice and support!

I could be opening a pack of worms (no pun intended), and I am definately not
qualified to contribute like many of you are, nor am I endorsing the 6-PACK
clubs involvement in this type of project .....yet.

What do you think?

By the way Kai, as I am reading more of your e-mail messages to the list, I
would like to thank you for your experience with your cars and sharing them
with the list.  The more we share, the more we all benefit.

Thanks,

Mike Brinker

The following message was sent by "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net> on Sun, 14 Oct
2001 14:37:14 -0400.