Vacuum line mess - TR-250

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum line mess - TR-250
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:13:39 -0500
I'm trying to tie up some loose ends in the engine bay on my TR-250.  There
is a steel vacuum line that connects to both carburetors (via small rubber
connectors) and the intake manifold (via a banjo fitting).  It is also
supposed to connect to the vacuum control valve mounted on the accelerator
bracket.  The far end of the vacuum control valve is supposed to connect to
the vacuum retard unit on the distributor.

When I got my car the vacuum pipe was not connected to the vacuum control
valve, but simply plugged.  I originally didn't realize I even had a vacuum
control valve (not knowing where it mounted).  I eventually discovered it
and realized I have the wrong distributor as well.  Mine appears to only
have a vacuum advance unit.  Where the retard unit would be is a knurled
knob.

How difficult will it be to make things right?  Is it worth it?  Will the
state of Illinois care when I try to put the car on the road (it's not been
registered since around 1995 in New York)?  I'm guessing I'm in the market
for a new or rebuilt distributor anyway (the dwell jumps all over the place,
which I am led to believe is symptomatic of a worn distributor shaft).

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com)
http://www.mojam.com/