more on da clutch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: more on da clutch
From: RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:51:10 -0700
Charlie, Nelson, Dick, Jay, et al,

I didn't mention it in the original posting, but earlier
this year, when I was having disengagement problems,
I was advised by DT to eliminate the slack in the external
clutch linkage - so I pulled the pedal box, replaced the
crossshaft bushings and had the ovalled hole in the clutch
pedal repaired with a bronze bushing. Replaced the clevis pins
at the clutch pedal and the slave pushrod and lubed 'em with
moly grease. Although this no doubt helped, it wasnt enough
to solve my disengagemnet problem. So I then installed a
0.75"-bore MC from the TR250/'69 TR6. That seemed to do the trick
for a while and I started having probs again. So I replaced
the SC, but kept the SC pushrod b/c it was hardly ovalled.
The only thing I didn't replace was the SC hose and MC pipe.
THey seemed to be OK.
THis again worked for a while until finally it got really bad.

I brought it to a shop in SF. THey looked it over and determined
it was something internal. So they tore it apart, and replaced
everything inside - P/P, C/D, T/O bearing & sleeve, pilot bushing,
crossshaft/fork/pin/bushings (the previous shop had welded the
shaft to the fork). THis has worked for about 1000 miles
and now I'm back to the same problem again.

I have thought about replacing the SC tubing, but it doesn't
feel like I'm losing pedal pressure (it actually feels like
I'm gaining pressure). Also, the fluid level hasn't changed
in the MC. I suggested to the mechanic at the shop about
the possiblility of a pinhole leak, but he didn't think that
was the problem in my case.

This morning I didn't really have trouble getting into 1st,
but after driving about a mile, the bearing started squealing
pretty bad. I went out for lunch and it squealed very softly
during about 3 shifts, and then it "went away" (I'm sure it'll
be back soon).
The fact that none of these problems are occuring constantly
confuses me -  it seems to be sporadic, but in my experience
with this problem in the past it can rapidly get worse.

I'm going to check the SC pushrod movement, hopefully tonight, and will
report back.

Signed,

The Committee to End the 6-cyl Clutch Suffering

Ryan
6/71 Sapphire