RE: Amp meter sticking

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Amp meter sticking
From: "Bernard Robbins" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:33:04 +1200
Hi Corey,

I've had a similar problem in the past on an old landrover (using smiths
instruments).

The problem I had was the needle was catching on the back plate when it went
to the extreme of it's movements (a real pain 'cos it was the fuel gauge -
stuck on full!!).

Heres what I did:

- Removed the instrument from the dash. I'm not sure how hard this would be
on a wrong hand drive car (as mine is RHD) but I'm sure others will have
some tips if you need them.

- Removed the glass. This was a bit tricky. Normally the bezel just rotates
until the little catches in the bezel line up with notches in the metere
case and it would pop off. However, in my case, the rubber had gone all
scungy and squishy so rotating the bezel was quite hard.

- The next bit is the delicate bit.. Once the glass was off, I tweaked the
needle so it sat forward of the face plate and didn't catch. Be very careful
when you tweak the needle as you only want to bend it out a bit. Make sure
you don't bend it sideways otherwise the accuracy of the instrument will be
affected (although some would argue that being British instruments, one
would have a even chance of making it more accurate - however I couldn't
possibly comment!!).

- Clean the inside of the glass and meter face very carefully with a dry
lint free cloth. The markings are water based and will wipe off if they get
damp.

- Reassemble. Depending on the condition of the meter, you may be able to
re-use the rubber seals etc. if not, there is a place on the web you can get
new ones but I can't remember the website.

Hope this helps

Regards
Bernard Robbins