Re: Flat or round?

To: jimmble@adelphia.net (James Franks)
Subject: Re: Flat or round?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
Jim, Dave, Mitch S. and interested parties:
I know this topic has about reached its limit, but I hate to leave loose
ends on issues where I stuck my nose.  When the response to "centering
the turn signal  cam" raised doubt as to whether it was possible to
change spline positions by refitting the lower splined shaft in the
steering column. After looking at several drawings, I said it didn't
seem possible, due to a "flat" going across the pinch bolt area of the
lower universal. This was met with a different approach, as at least
some shafts have a full relief here, allowing the pinch bolt to be
re-inserted after a new position was found.
Dave reponded privately to say his '74 has such a relief, and could
thereby be adjusted to suit his needs.
Mitch, with a '75, says his has only one position, because of a flat
across the shaft.
Bernard, whose model I'm not sure of, alluded that his was also
adjustable.
I "guessed", because I could only use some drawings.  Curiosity got the
best of me, so I went out and pulled the lower column shaft up far
enough see what my '73 has.  It has a flat.

What does all of this mean? Only that Triumph changed how they did this
from one model to the next, with no apparant reason.

Dick Taylor
CF11143