Re: Engine cutting out/one driver's story

To: gvgreen@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: Re: Engine cutting out/one driver's story
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:57:01 +0000
Gordon and List:

After I rebuilt my carburetors in January 2001 I got my car back on the road
in March (after some other projects as well).  The car ran great for about a
month and then started to cut out, as you describe.  After much cobbling
with the carbs, timing, filters, etc. I was feeling very frustrated and even
considered converting to Webers!  Well, just last week after spending a hour
with a great mechanic at a local British car shop we found what had been
causing the problem all along;

On the Stromberg carbs there is a approx 3/8" diameter vent hole for the
float bowl.  There is a corresponding hole on the air filter backing plate
to allow, obviously, for venting.  The hole on the backing plate for the
front carb was completely plugged up with a clear, hard substance; probably
gasoline.  When the hole was cleared all rough running symptoms went away!!
Try checking that possiblity in your troubleshooting.

Good luck with your car.
Best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L