Re: SU Carbs

To: TomRJade@aol.com
Subject: Re: SU Carbs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
Tom---As Brooks said in his reply on the subject of SU carb needles,
they're easy to change. Tell me which ones you have, ID'ed by the number
stamped on the shank, and also the number on the ones you believe to be
stock. These numbers will show what the taper is on each, and can be
compared to the B1AF stock needles in the ZS carb for flow.  Sounds like
voodoo, but not all that difficult when you have the charts.

Normally I suggest that one get the car over to some place with a gas
analyzer to find out where the (rpm) engine is rich or lean. That is
still good to do, but I can get you close, with the proper needles.
You'll still have to equal the jet heights for whatever needles used,
but this is easy on SU's.

If you want to do this yourself, pick up the Haynes manual on SU carbs.
Always good to have.

Dick T.
CF11143