Shaving the head

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shaving the head
From: vze2846b <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:35:56 -0500
I'm getting ready to remove the head on my 250 to deal with an oil leak
near the rear oil passage.  While I have it apart, I'm thinking of
shaving some off the head to increase compression.  I am running stock ZS
carbs, stock cam and a stock exhaust manifold.

According to Kastner's Manual, a final head thickness of 3.375 inches
will give a compression ratio of about 10:1 on a stock engine block.

What are the ramifications of this modification?  Will I be able to run
well on high test, will I notice the increase in performance, and is it
worth the effort?  If the above is too much for a stock engine, how about
a head that is in the 3.40" range?

Any comments/ experience is greatly appreciated.

Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone