More on 2nd Gear Synchros

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on 2nd Gear Synchros
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:06:18 +1300
Hi Jim,

I've recently done bearing and synchros in my saloon Gbox. I got a kit from
Rimmers in the UK. It wasn't overly expensive. A friend who used the same
kit several years ago has done around 25,000 miles without any problems.

Sounds like syncho problem to me. However, check what sort of oil you are
running. I think the specs for the TR6 were to use 80W90. However, the Stag
(which uses essentially the same gearbox) specified 75W90. When I changed
to the 75W90 it made a big difference on the change speed of the gearbox.

As a temporary improvement, you may well be able to change the oil to the
lighter weight until you decide to rebuild.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Bernard Robbins
Regards