Re: how to use accessory fuse

To: mcreamer@cinci.rr.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: how to use accessory fuse
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:54:49 EST
In a message dated 11/23/2000 9:44:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,  Mark Creamer
<mcreamer@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> I've been looking in my Dan Masters manual for the answer to this, but I
> don't see it yet. The question is, if I want to run the backup memory
> (always on) lead from my new radio to the unused fuse (as suggested by some
> listers), rather than directly to the battery + terminal, what do I have to
> do to make that work? If I'm right, that connection is not "always on", but

Mark,

I guess I was remiss in not including a chapter on radio installation. I will
correct that with the next printing.

I recommend connecting the memory lead to a purple wire. If you look under
your dash, you will find several purple wires running around. Just use
whichever one is most convenient. Probably the easiest place to hook onto
would be the purple wires at the horn relay or the hazard flasher, both
located under the hood near the fuse box. You can either splice into the
purple wire, cut the wire and reterminate with the added radio wire (ie, two
wires into one terminal), or use "piggyback" terminals (these are available
from most auto parts stores, and allow you to connect two wires to one
terminal). If you connect to a purple wire, there is no need to add a fuse,
as the purple wires are already fused, and the memory lead draws very little
current. The purple wires are always hot, key on or off.

I assume you are connecting the main radio power lead to the "acc" terminal
of your ignition switch - the white/pink wire? If so, be sure to fuse this
lead (usually, the radio will come with a fuse in this lead). The white/pink
lead is NOT fused from the factory.

Your radio will also have a powered output lead to operate an automatic
antenna. If you are using an auto antenna, just connect this lead to the
power input lead from the antenna. No need to fuse it, as it will draw power
from the main radio lead, which you will have fused as above. If you don't
use an automatic antenna, be sure to tie this wire up out of the way, because
it will be hot anytime the radio is on.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm