Splitfire plugs [was 6 Pack Digest V1 #158]

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Splitfire plugs [was 6 Pack Digest V1 #158]
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 24 Aug 2000 17:27:40 -0000
Tom Jade wrote:
        > I am going to try a set of SplitFire sf6c on a recommendation from...
        [snip]

I've no direct experience with the Splitfires, but have heard
from Mates in SCCA (Solo I & II) that it is best to steer clear
of SplitFires.  Their main concern is that the ceramic insulator
retains too much heat, and welds the plug boots to the ceramic,
necessitating a plug boot change every time the plugs are changed.
With each change, the plug leads grow shorter and soon need to be
replaced.

I won't even touch the *religious* topic of plug tip design.  :-)

On another thread concerning "hot" and "cold" plugs; the heat
range of a plug is a measure of the spark plug's ability to
remove heat from the combustion chamber. The heat range measurement
is determined by several factors; the length of the ceramic center
insulator nose and its' ability to absorb and transfer combustion
heat, the material composition of the insulator and center electrode
material. For a really good review, see:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/overview.asp

Shane Ingate
Melbourne, FL