RE: What's your current TR project?

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's your current TR project?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 08:13:41 -0600

Not sure if this comment was made in jest but in case not...I don't think
any TR6s (or other Triumphs for that matter) ever had the numbers "match"
(as in all are exactly the same). Instead, the numbers are just whatever was
on the components (engine, gearbox, diff) at the time they were grabbed to
be installed on the assembly line. Same with the body number (actually there
are two of those -- and they don't match either).

As for the 'door post number' (known as the commission number) it should
match the number on the driver's side (for left hand steering cars) A-pillar
tab (at least for the later cars). But that is just a duplication of the
commission number. And on early cars, the 'door post number' is actually on
the driver's side (again, for LHD cars) inner wheel arch in the engine bay.
Original later cars will have two holes in this location on the inner
fender.

To see what the numbers should be for your car -- if you are concerned with
such originality details -- get a build certificate from the british motor
industry heritage trust organization
<http://www.mossmotors.com/heritagemotorcentre/htc.html>. You can see a
sample of the certificate at <http://www.gumbi.com/peterz/tr6/bmiht.html>.

Probably more babbling than you expected...  :-)

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO