RE: TR6 Muffler

To: Ben Heller <ben.heller@gses.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Muffler
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:23:52 -0400
I think..it's been 10 years..I bought a Falcon Exhaust (either direct or
from Moss/VB/TRF).  Sorry I don't know exactly.  If you can't find anything
good in the US,  I'd recommend picking up Practical Classics (a good brit
work-on-your-car magazine) and check out the ads...don't hesitate to import
from England as it's not that much of a hassle.

As an aside, stainless exhausts sound a little "tinny" at first, but the
sound mellows after about 1,000 miles.

At 10:13 AM 7/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Dick and William
>
>Thanks from the info on the mufflers.
>
>I checked Midas and the muffler is now discontinued. I guess I will
>eventually buy a stainless steel exhaust and replace the whole thing. Any
>recommendations on brands?
>
>Thanks,
>Ben
>
>Up here, in moisture- and snow-prone states, Midas Mufflers don't seem to
>last very long.  I had one on an Intergra that gave up every Spring for
>four years....and the muffler replacement is free but not any other
>attached parts.  They may have improved the quality (this was the early
>90''s), but I felt it was a false economy.  However, that car was a daily
>driver that lived outdoors and Cleveland is just about the worst place in
>the world for car rust.  Another thing to think about is if you store your
>car for long periods of time and just drive short distances, the baffles in
>the muffler can also rust out faster due to accumulation of engine
>combustions acidic byproducts which would dissipate better in regular use
>(as the muffler takes awhile to really heats up).  For me, I don't like
>changing exhausts, so I paid a little more 10 years ago for a stainless
>system and haven't have to do a thing to it since then (and it still looks
>great).
>
>------------cut--------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:13:51 -0700 (PDT)
>From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
>Subject: Re: Tr-6 exhaust
>
>Ben---The best replacement source for the original TR6 muffler in the
>aftermarket can come from Midas Muffler. They give a life-time warranty.
>I believe they are nationwide.  They look and sound like the original
>"two in, two out."  I can't speak for the single pipe in, version.
>
>Dick T.
>L.A.

>William Whitmoyer
>69 TR6