First driving/viewing experience (was spooked, now curious)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: First driving/viewing experience (was spooked, now curious)
From: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:13:39 -0400
Hi all,
Once again, thanks for all the great advice. We went to visit the car today,
and I felt a lot more comfortable having been armed with your tips and
suggestions. We had a blast driving the car, other than frequent stalls at
idle ;-)

Overall, the car wasn't bad, but I think was definitely "oversold" in the ad
(sound familiar to some of you??). Paint was OK, there were some small rust
spots and dings that weren't disclosed in the ad. Engine ran very rough, I'm
assuming this isn't a normal situation. It did sort itself out (got that
term from my British uncle) a little after some run time. We're going to
look at a few more that I'm not really too interested in locally, just to
get a comparison.

Next steps are going to be a little trickier, because some of the other cars
we're interested in are quite a bit further away.

Anyway, this was educational to say the least. But we're excited. They're
fun cars, not too complicated from what I can tell, and I'm sure the right
one is out there somewhere. I'm not rushing. By the way, even though the
seller has today's car priced way too high, he didn't try to hide anything
from us when we got there. I think he just doesn't know much about these
cars. (he bought it from an auction with no history!)

One quick question...VTR's web site has a pricing guide reproduced from
another source, in which the cars are listed according to condition, with
appropriate pricing. Top notch cars, 95 points minimum concourse are in the
12,000 price range. The one today was advertised at 13,900. Even though I
knew this one was worth no where near that, how accurate is the VTR
information in today's market? So many cars on the web are 15, 16 even
18,000. Are the sellers nuts, or just hoping to recoup $ having spent too
much on a restoration?

More to come,

Mark Creamer
TR6 TBA