Re: Brake Failure Help!!!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Failure Help!!!
From: TR6GREG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:17:32 EDT
Jim, just a couple of things you might want to check first before doing
anything else to your brakes...first, pull your pads out of the caliper and
see if the disc is still binding without any brake pads installed.  Reason
for doing this is to check to see if your left front wheel bearing has
failed, which will try to seize that hub.  If this is the case, you'll need
to replace those wheel bearings and races.  I would also think that you would
notice some pull to the left if this was the case, but I would check it just
the same.  Also check to make sure nothing has shifted out of place on your
front pads on that side and caused the rotor to bind.  If the rotor got hot
enough to create a burning smell and smoke, check your rotor for
discoloration (bluish color).  If you find this, I would consider replacing
the rotor, as the rotor may now be too soft to wear properly, as the
excessive heat may have damaged it.  If none of these seem to be a problem, I
would check the piston in the caliper, it may be stuck from corrosion,
causing the pads to bind on the rotor, which will necessitate a caliper
rebuild/replacement.  I would check the right front also if you find that the
caliper is the culprit.  HTH

Greg Donegan
72 TR6
Hebron KY